Suggested Honeymoon Itinerary
An exotic getaway on a remote island peninsula
Masoala Forest Lodge offers 3, 4, 7, 10 and 11-night packages.
3 and 10 night tours always begin on a Sunday.
4 and 11 night tours always begin on a Wednesday.
7 night tours may begin on either Sunday or Wednesday.
Except for the first day, which includes the Nosy Mangabe visit, the program is kept very flexible and our guests can choose daily from our offers.
Each reservation includes a private guide who is available 24/7 and will assist with planning and selecting your activities.
Activities on offer
• Guided walks in the primary and coastal forests
• Birding, mammal and reptile spotting in the lodge area and surrounding forests
• Guided river trip in a traditional dugout canoe
• Guided walks to nearby cascades
• Guided nocturnal walks
• Cultural visit to the local village and rice fields
• Sunset sail in a dugout outrigger canoe
• Self-guided or guided sea kayaking
• Self-guided or guided snorkelling at and around the lodge
• Self-guided or guided exploration of the lodge’s private forest reserve
• Private candlelit dinner on the sea deck
• Complimentary tastings of Malagasy rums infused with local fruits and spices
• Massage at the Masoala Forest Lodge SPA Tent
The sample itinerary below will give you an idea how your days in Masoala could be spent.
For more detailed information about our available excursions, please download the MFL Activity Guide using the link at the end of this page.
Sample Itinerary for the 7 night Honeymoon Adventure
- Scheduled charter from Antananarivo to the small coastal trading town of Maroantsetra.
- Meet our team, road transfer to our harbour and boat across Antongil Bay to Masoala Forest Lodge.
- Meet your guide and the lodge managers and settle into camp.
- Enjoy the sunset with a drink at the beach fire followed by dinner.
- After a leisurely breakfast head to the primary forest in search of Red Ruffed Lemurs, Helmet Vangas and an array of other rainforest wildlife.
- After lunch enjoy snorkelling and swimming in front of the camp, and after dinner the adventure of a forest night walk.
- Kayak or boat south along the coast to the sacred island of Nosy Ndraindra, continue to the nearby beach of Ampamoavana.
- In the afternoon you could make use of your complimentary massage vouchers.
- Join us for a traditional Malagasy night afterwards where we share insides to the Betsimisaraka culture and taste some locally loved dishes.
- An exciting full-day trip lies ahead of you, exploring the most beautiful section of coast on the Masoala peninsula. Take a 30 min boat trip to Saholaina-a beautiful beach with coral-rich waters great for snorkelling or swimming.
- Then make your way to the Antalaviana River, a river that cascades down from the densely forested hills above. You can swim in the crystal-clear water at the foot of the falls and sunbathe on a rock.
- After a relaxing picnic on the beach, begin your adventurous coastal walk back to the lodge through forest and along many secluded beaches.
- On your walk back to the lodge you can visit the village of Marofototra.
- You will cross multiple rivers see the remnants of a colonial railway and learn about the history of the region.
- Snorkel the reefs at Tooth Rock near the lodge in the morning.
- In the afternoon enjoy a coastal walk to the Tampolo River and take the traditional dugout canoe up the river. Here you have a good chance of spotting Northern Bamboo Lemur, Nelicourvi Weaver and various kingfishers.
- You will also encounter the unique scenery of mangroves and volcanic rock formations and enjoy the magical silence on the river. Tonight we will set up a special private dinner for you two.
- Take a short walk to visit the Betsimisaraka people. We will stop by the Masoala preschool before continuing to the local village of Ambodiforaha. Here we interact with the villagers, learn about their lifestyle and culture and enjoy a performance by the local dance group.
- A spice market with local crafts completes the experience.
- Spend your final morning either relaxing on the beach or in the ocean or, instead, combing the forest for any species not yet seen.
- In the afternoon take the sailing boat out for a sunset cruise and on return to camp join the bonfire before dinner.
- Enjoy your last night walk in this magical forest.
- Sunday Today after a leisurely breakfast we head back by boat to Maroantsetra to catch your scheduled charter flight to Antananarivo and your onward travel arrangements.