You have traveled far - now take the time to explore and relax
Masoala Forest Lodge offers 3, 4, 7, 10 and 11-night packages.
3 and 10 night tours always begin on a Sunday.
4 and 11 night tours always begin on a Wednesday.
7 night tours may begin on either Sunday or Wednesday.
Each reservation includes a private guide who is available 24/7 and will assist with planning and selecting your activities.
Activities on offer
• Guided walks in the primary and coastal forests
• Birding, mammal and reptile spotting in the lodge area and surrounding forests
• Guided river trip in a traditional dugout canoe
• Whale-watching by boat or by kayak (seasonal: mid June to mid September)
• Guided walks to nearby cascades
• Guided nocturnal walks
• Cultural visit to the local village and rice fields
• Sunset sail in a dugout outrigger canoe
• Self-guided or guided sea kayaking
• Self-guided or guided snorkelling at and around the lodge
• Self-guided or guided exploration of the lodge’s private forest reserve
• Private candlelit dinner on the sea deck
• Complimentary tastings of Malagasy rums infused with local fruits and spices
• Massage at the Masoala Forest Lodge SPA Tent
The sample itinerary below will give you an idea how your days in Masoala could be spent.
For more detailed information about our available excursions, please download the MFL Activity Guide using the link at the end of this page.
Sample Itinerary for the 10 night Masoala Adventure
Day 01 – Sunday
- Scheduled charter from Antananarivo to the small coastal trading town of Maroantsetra.
- Meet our team and road transfer to our harbour.
- Boat across Antongil Bay to Masoala Forest Lodge.
- Meet the lodge managers and settle into camp.
- Enjoy the sunset with a drink at the beach fire followed by dinner.
Day 02 – Monday
- After a leisurely breakfast head to the primary forest in search of Red Ruffed Lemurs, Helmet Vangas and an array of other rainforest wildlife.
- After lunch enjoy snorkelling and swimming in front of the camp, and after dinner the adventure of a forest night walk.
Day 03 – Tuesday
- Kayak or boat south along the coast to the sacred island of Nosy Ndraindra, and continue to the nearby beach of Ampamoavana.
- In the afternoon we suggest you make use of your complimentary massage voucher.
- Join us for a traditional Malagasy night afterwards.
Day 04 – Wednesday
- An exciting day trip lies ahead of you, exploring the most beautiful section of the coast on the Masoala peninsula.
- Take a 30 min boat trip to Saholaina – a beautiful beach with coral-rich waters great for snorkelling.
- Then make your way to the Antalaviana a cascading river that flows from the densely forested hills above.
- After a relaxing picnic on the beach, begin your adventurous coastal walk back to the lodge.
Day 05 – Thursday
- Snorkel the reefs at Tooth Rock near the lodge in the morning.
- In the afternoon enjoy a coastal walk to the Tampolo River and take the traditional dugout canoe up the river. Here you have a good chance of spotting Northern Bamboo Lemur, Nelicourvi Weaver and various kingfishers. You will also encounter the unique scenery of mangroves and volcanic rock formations and enjoy the magical silence on the river.
Day 06 – Friday
- Take a short walk to visit the Betsimisaraka people.
- We will stop by the Masoala preschool before continuing to the local village of Ambodiforaha.
- Here we interact with the villagers, learn about their lifestyle and culture and enjoy a performance by the local dance group. A spice market with local crafts completes the experience.
Day 07 – Saturday
- Today belongs to the beach – we will pack you a picnic and take you by boat or foot out to one of the many beautiful beaches.
- Equipped with snorkelling kit, sunscreen, beach mats, towels and picnic basket you will have a whole day to relax, sunbath and explore the reefs.
Day 08 – Sunday
- Join our Reforestation program today. Give back to the planet by helping us plant endemic trees for lemurs and other local native species. Some areas in the Masoala Forest Lodge reserve were deforested for agricultural purposes before we began managing the land. It is our goal to protect and restore the coastal rainforest within the buffer zone outside of the National Park boundaries to increase more suitable environments for endangered wildlife to thrive. We would love for you to join us in our reforestation activities from planting trees to seed collection and nursery maintenance.
Day 09 – Monday
- This morning, take the opportunity to return to the primary forest in search of more endemic wildlife.
- After lunch and a well-deserved rest, take the sailing boat out for a sunset cruise.
- Don’t miss the chance to do one last night walk. Who knows; it could be the Aye-Aye tonight…
Day 10 – Tuesday
- Spend your final morning either relaxing on the beach, in the ocean or combing the forest for any species not yet seen.
- In the afternoon enjoy a beach walk and on return to camp join the bonfire before dinner. Tonight we suggest that we set up a private dinner on the beach or sea deck for you to celebrate your vacation. After dinner, you have the option of enjoying your last night’s walk in this magical forest.
Day 11 – Wednesday
- Today after a leisurely breakfast we head back by boat to Maroantsetra to catch your scheduled charter flight to Antananarivo and your onward travel arrangements.