Explore and experience this exotic paradise
Masoala Forest Lodge offers 3, 4, 7, 10 and 11-night packages.
3 and 10 night tours always begin on a Sunday.
4 and 11 night tours always begin on a Wednesday.
7 night tours may begin on either Sunday or Wednesday.
Except for the first day, which includes the Nosy Mangabe visit, the program is kept very flexible and our guests can choose daily from our offers.
Each reservation includes a private guide who is available 24/7 and will assist with planning and selecting your activities.
Activities on offer
• Guided walks in the primary and coastal forests
• Birding, mammal and reptile spotting in the lodge area and surrounding forests
• Whale-watching by boat or by kayak (seasonal: mid June to mid September)
• Guided river trip in a traditional dugout canoe
• Guided walks to nearby cascades
• Guided nocturnal walks
• Cultural visit to the local village and rice fields
• Sunset sail in a dugout outrigger canoe
• Self-guided or guided sea kayaking
• Self-guided or guided snorkelling at and around the lodge
• Self-guided or guided exploration of the lodge’s private forest reserve
• Private candlelit dinner on the sea deck
• Complimentary tastings of Malagasy rums infused with local fruits and spices
• Massage at the Masoala Forest Lodge SPA Tent
The sample itinerary below will give you an idea how your days in Masoala could be spent.
For more detailed information about our available excursions, please download the MFL Activity Guide using the link at the end of this page.
Sample Itinerary for the 4 night Masoala Adventure
Day 01 – Wednesday
- Scheduled charter from Antananarivo to the small coastal trading town of Maroantsetra.
- Meet our team, road transfer to our harbour and boat across Antongil Bay to Masoala Forest Lodge.
- Meet your guide and the lodge managers and settle into camp.
- Enjoy the sunset with a drink at the beach fire followed by dinner.
Day 02 – Thursday
- After a leisurely breakfast head to the primary forest in search of Red Ruffed Lemurs, Helmet Vangas and an array of other rainforest wildlife.
- After lunch enjoy snorkelling and swimming in front of the camp, and after dinner the adventure of a forest night walk.
Day 03 – Friday
- Take a short walk to visit the Betsimisaraka people.
- We will stop by the Masoala preschool before continuing to the local village of Ambodiforaha.
- Here we interact with the villagers, learn about their lifestyle and culture and enjoy a performance by the local dance group.
- A spice market with local crafts completes the experience
Day 04 – Saturday
- Spend your final morning either relaxing on the beach or in the ocean or, instead, combing the forest for any species not yet seen.
- In the afternoon take the sailing boat out for a sunset cruise and on return to camp join the bonfire before dinner.
- Enjoy your last night walk in this magical forest.
Day 05 – Sunday
- Enjoy an early last Breakfast on the sea deck.
- Board the boat for your return voyage to Maroantsetra followed by the car transfer to the airport where your charter plane awaits you.
- Enjoy the stunning view of the Masoala peninsula and Nosy Mangabe on the return to Antananarivo to either catch your international flight or continue on to the next stop of your Madagascar adventure!
- The above itinerary is just an example of how you can spend your days at our remote resort. Your guide and our staff will help you build the perfect program based on your interests and the weather on your arrival.