3-night Masoala Adventure
Explore and experience this exotic paradiseActivity guide 2023
Masoala Forest Lodge offers 3, 4, 7, 10 and 11-night packages.
3 and 10 night tours always begin on a Sunday.
4 and 11 night tours always begin on a Wednesday.
7 night tours begin on Sunday and Wednesday.
Activities on offer
• Guided walks in the primary and coastal forests
• Birding, mammal and reptile spotting in the lodge area and surrounding forests
• Whale-watching by boat or by kayak (seasonal: mid June to mid September)
• Guided river trip in a traditional dugout canoe
• Guided nocturnal walks
• Cultural visit to the local village and rice fields
• Sunset sail in a dugout outrigger canoe
• Self-guided or guided sea kayaking
• Self-guided or guided snorkelling at and around the lodge
• Self-guided or guided exploration of the lodge’s private forest reserve
• Complimentary tastings of Malagasy rums infused with local fruits and spices
• Massage at the Masoala Forest Lodge SPA Tent• Visit of the MFL reforestation site • Unlimited access to the 80 ha MFL private reserve
The sample itinerary below will give you an idea how your days in Masoala could be spent.
For more detailed information about our available excursions, please download the MFL Activity Guide using the link at the end of this page.
Sample Itinerary for the 3 night Masoala Adventure
- Scheduled charter from Antananarivo to the small coastal trading town of Maroantsetra.
- Meet our team, road transfer to the harbour and boat across Antongil Bay to Masoala Forest Lodge. On arrival at the lodge beach, you are welcomed ashore by the lodge manager and settle into camp.
- The afternoon activities include exploring the beaches and coastal forest in the lodge area and enjoying a swim in the sea.
- Meet the other guests at cocktail hour around the bonfire and enjoy the sunset.
- Awaken early for coffee and breakfast on the sea deck before setting off on the day’s adventure.
- Today, take a quick boat ride up the coast to the primary rainforest in search of the Red-ruffed lemurs, Dwarf chameleons, Helmet Vangas, and other endemic wildlife.
- After some hours in the dense forest with the giant hardwoods and majestic tree ferns, return to camp by boat for a well-earned lunch and rest.
- Your afternoon activities could range from snorkelling on the nearby, highly diverse coral reefs to a sunset paddle out to a scenic outlook (and the chance of a close encounter with Green Turtles) to relaxing in a hammock underneath our beach-front palm trees.
- After dinner, a guided night walk provides the only opportunity to spot some of the secretive nocturnal wildlife, such as Dwarf and Mouse lemurs, Leaf-tailed geckos, or even the elusive Aye-Aye.
- Snorkel the reefs at Tooth Rock near the lodge in the morning.
- In the afternoon enjoy a coastal walk to the Tampolo River and take the traditional dugout canoe up the river.
- Here you have a good chance of spotting Northern Bamboo Lemur, Nelicourvi Weaver and various kingfishers.
- You will also encounter the unique scenery of mangroves and volcanic rock formations and enjoy the magical silence on the river.
- Today after a leisurely breakfast we head back by boat to Maroantsetra to catch your scheduled charter flight to Antananarivo and your onward travel arrangements.